Thursday, November 12, 2009

Tribute to Freddie...

My fascination for English music began when I was around 8 years old. As a child, I used to love listening to soft rock, techno(read OMD) and alternative. The older I grew, the more fascinated I was with singers, bands and their escapades. But one man stood out in my mind and he answers to the name Freddie Mercury.

Freddie, a Parsi with origins in Mumbai, has the best male voice I have ever heard. He may have been the flamboyant driving force behind Queen's success but led a very shy and reclusive private life.

Success can be very intimidating and Freddie's short gay flings with multiple men led to his downfall. He was diagnosed with AIDS and died in 1991, placing him among the first celebrities to admit having AIDS.

Even though Freddie has left for a better place, I can feel his presence around me through his music. Songs like 'Living On My Own', 'Bohemian Rhapsody', 'I want to break free', 'We are the champions' and 'The Great Pretender' will keep playing in my mind and heart forever.

I agree with Queen - THE SHOW MUST GO ON

God bless you, Freddie!

No comments: